Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Eve 2009

Guess who the lucky pharmacist was that got to work on Christmas Eve? Again? Yup, that's right, ME! Fortunately, Tina came in and worked the last three hours for me, so I was able to spend the afternoon with Zane and the rest of the Bell family. My fear was that I would have to work until close and that Zane would already be asleep, meaning that I completely missed his first Christmas Eve, and I am SO thankful it didn't happen that way!

It looked like Santa's workshop when I walked into DeeDee and Skeet's house! It was a full house with me, Matt, and Zane, DeeDee and Skeet, Erik and Lindsey, Tyler, four dachshunds, and a lab! Wow! Some were wrapping last minute gifts, some were making fudge, some were gathering gifts to take to Kaye Kaye's house for our get-together that night, and most were watching Zane. At some point we said, "Enough madness! Let's watch a good, wholesome family movie!" So, we all sat down to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. What else? It's a hilarious movie and so much fun to watch with the whole family.

We then went to the Christmas Eve service at church. I love that our church always has family-style communion on Christmas Eve. It's nice to be with family and celebrate the true Reason for the Season.

After the service the Bells, Dells, and Cummins' all headed over to Greg & Kaye Kaye's to eat, laugh, and open presents.

*Kaye Kaye & Z

*Typical one year old, enjoyed the box more than the gift!

*Zane-in-a-box with Sock Monkey Jack-in-a-box.
My favorite part is his foot propped up on the side.

*Zane's new Radio Flyer from Mama Doot

*My beautiful baby boy

Well, it's already January 5th, and I'm just now blogging about Christmas Eve. The things that come to mind when I think about that night don't involve who got who which present. I think about Zane having coffee breath because Kaye Kaye and Kara gave him coffee punch (decaf!). I think about Erik reading us the Christmas story. I think about Zane walking everywhere. I think about the funny story Josh told me. I think about me and Matt sitting at the table eating with Zane and how incredibly dirty his turtleneck was by the end of the night.

I think about Uncle Bo Joe. Just as he was about to leave, I took Zane over and we sat with him for a few minutes. Zane and I both gave him a kiss on the cheek. I wish I had taken a picture of Zane with him. I said, "Bye, Uncle Bo Joe. We love you." We didn't know it at the time, but this was our last Christmas with Joe. He lost his battle with cancer just nine days later. When I think about Joe, the words "straight and narrow" come to mind. He always seemed to be a perfectionist. We always joked that if we needed a picture hung, just call Joe. He'll get it straight! I loved his deep voice and great laugh! Although he will be greatly missed by all of us, I think we are all thankful that he didn't have to suffer, that he was strong, and that he was not afraid. He knew that this wasn't the end, but the beginning of his eternity in Heaven! I can't find a picture of Baby Zane and Joe together, so instead here's a picture of Zane in what we call his "Bo Joe" hat.

More Christmas Week 09, to be continued.......

3 comments:

Faith said...

Sweet blog, good job:)

Jordan said...

So sorry to hear about Uncle Bo Joe. What a sweet post and good first Christmas memories for Zane :)

Unknown said...

So glad you didn't miss all of Christmas Eve. Why did we think healthcare and its lack of holidays was a good idea??:)