Tuesday, January 19, 2010

One Year Old and randoms….

 

DSCN1357

It’s true what they say. “They”, being moms, dads, grandmothers, anyone who has every had a child. They say, “They grow so fast. Before you know it, they’ll be a teenager. They’re not a baby for long.” It’s true. All of it.  So let the clichés begin.

I can’t believe how fast this past year has gone. In many ways, it was the longest year of my life. I definitely was awake for more of 2009 than any other year of my life…well, according to my mom, maybe I was awake for a lot of 1980, also. Paying for my raising?

The other night while Zane ate his dinner, Brandie and I sat at the table and discussed how much a baby learns, grows, and changes in just the first year of life. He went from being a helpless, tiny infant to….this.DSCN1355A very independent little person, with his own little personality. He didn’t want that birthday hat on.  And he wasn’t going to stop until he got it off!

Back to him eating dinner….He was in “performance” mode, so we had him do all of his tricks.  They included, but were not limited to: the popeye face, patting his head, patting his tummy, calling the hogs, “feeding” the dogs, fake coughing, growling, and fake yawning.

Fake yawning is a new trick. We say, “Zane, are you sooooo sleepy?”  and he will open his mouth really wide and pat it with his hand. He will also go and lay his head down on his blanket in the floor. Not for long. Just long enough to get an, “Awww, sweet baby. Him’s sleeeeepy.” And then he’s back up!

He likes his rocking chair. He’s still figuring it out, though. For now, backwards is the cool way to sit.

DSCN1365

When he gets really mad, which he does, he has this huge vein that pokes out on the left side of his neck.

DSCN1372 He only walks now. No more crawling. He loves pushing the buttons on the TV, even though he knows he’s not supposed to. He’ll walk up to the TV, slowly turn around and look at me, wait for me to say, “no, no”, and then…push it anyway. He’s already “pushing my buttons.” Sorry, i couldn’t resist the pun.

The clinginess started during Christmas.  We were around so many people and went from house to house to house. Then we had his birthday party, with lots of people here. So if we’re around lots of people, mommy has to hold him. I’m no expert, but I try not to encourage this. I do want him to feel secure, but I also want him to be comfortable without being on my hip. Usually, it follows the old saying, “out of sight, out of mind.”  But if he’s sleepy or frustrated or hurt, he wants his mommy. Aaaand….I love it!  Here I was trying to take his picture and he was O.VER. IT. Reaching for mommy.

DSCN1362 

One last thing. One of those melt my heart moments. When he hears Dad-O come home, he stops whatever he’s doing and looks up at me. He gives me that big, toothy grin. Then waddles toward the door saying, “Da-da, Da-da”. Grinning the whole way. We love this kid.

DSCN1370

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Isn't it great?! William does the exact same thing when he hears Daniel come in (except he also calls for "dada" frequently throughout the day as well)! Definitely getting bored with me and wanting to be thrown around. Love the "yawning trick"-that's pretty darn cute :)