Sunday, December 23, 2012

There's SNOW place like home...

Blizzard Draco

Since when do winter storms have names? Since now. Since it started snowing Wednesday night and didn't stop until around 2am on Friday. Since we had "thundersnow", which is when there's thunder and lightning and three inches of snow suddenly falls from the sky is less than an hour.

The plan was for Matt, Sandy, the kids, and the dogs to drive to Arkansas Thursday night after Matt's clinic. Unbelievably, his clinic was cancelled. Now I know in Arkansas we cancel school, church, work....at the mention of the word 'snow'....but I thought things were different here in Wisconsin. Well, apparently this wasn't your typical snow!

So, I suggested to Matt that they leave Wednesday night to beat the storm. What was I thinking? Oh yeah. That I'd rather my family get out of here before the storm and be safe.

The good news is they had a safe and uneventful trip to Arkansas. That I had a few days of sleeping in and relaxing in front of our 'pretend fire'. That I was able to clean house without Hurricane Zane following behind me. I was able to vacuum without Hollin on my hip.

The bad news? I've never felt that lonely in my entire life. The realization that I was in our house alone, no kids, no dogs, in Wisconsin, in the middle of a blizzard....it was eerie. I can't tell you how many times since they've been gone that I've tiptoed around as to not wake the babies. How many times I've thought, "Oh, gosh! I need to let the dogs out!" And then realize I'm alone!

Small Happys that have kept me from feeling so lonely...warm blanket, coffee, General Hospital, and our 'pretend fire'.

Pictures really don't do justice to the crazy amounts of snow we got! Almost TWENTY inches!


Looking out the back door

A neighbor brought by part of our house that blew off.

I tried to walk around in the backyard to take more pictures. There were places where the snow was pretty packed and I could walk without too much difficulty. But I quickly realized that if i stepped in an area where the wind had blown snowdrifts that I would fall in all the way past my knees!

This picture was taken Thursday night. That's my mailbox in the center of the picture.

Wish Zaney was here to build Frosty with me. Once the wind stopped and the sun came out, it really was beautiful! But I'm SO ready to hop on a plane, get to Arkansas, hug my babies, and let the Christmas festivities begin! And there's even a chance for snow on Christmas Day in Arkansas!

 

No comments: