Reasons Matt & I went to Baltimore:
1. Matt interviewed at Johns Hopkins University for fellowship positions in Allergy & Immunology.
2. To see the city, a potential new “home town”
3. To spend time together, as this was our first get away since having Zane
4. Catch up on the sleep we lost this past year :)
Reasons we got stuck two extra days in Baltimore:
1. The Great Snowpocalypse 2010. We got to Baltimore on Thursday and, while cold, it was really pretty. On Friday afternoon the snow started falling….and falling…and falling…and fell for 24 hours…….at a rate of about 1 inch per hour! Yes, while there, it snowed about 26 to 30 inches and the wind blew so hard we couldn’t see out our window! Compare the top picture to this next picture:
2. The trains weren’t running and our flight got cancelled. So, yes…we definitely got to relax and catch up on sleep because EVERYTHING was closed! You’d think that in Baltimore they would be prepared for this, but I don’t think they get blizzards very often.
When we were driving from the airport to our hotel, I noticed these street signs and wondered, “What’s a snow emergency?”
What we did to pass the time in the blizzard:
1. Played in the snow. Duh.
2. Tried to see just how deep it was. I have NEVER seen so much snow! It was crazy!
3. Slept and ate. A LOT.
How I survived with out my baby boy for 5 days:
Obstacles we had to overcome to get home to see our Zane-O:
1. Cancelled flights
2. An unexpected snow storm in Little Rock
3. Being stuck on the I430 bridge, in the snow, with NO WINDSHIELD WIPERS! The normally 30 minute drive home from the airport took us 2 hours and 30 minutes.
4. My mom battling the elements to drive up from Hampton with that precious cargo. (baby Zane).
The BEST part of getting back from Baltimore:
There’s just one….